FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:26 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kipper
There's frank, but civil, and then there is pettiness, bickering, and nastiness. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of pettiness, bickering, and nastiness from TB members towards each other and towards some FTers who post differing opinions.

lin821 referenced that this isn't the first time a TB member missed a vote. In the last occasion I found, no one from TB posted publicly criticizing that TB member. Granted, the motion in question passed 8-0, but still. Where was the criticism then? That there was none from TB suggests to some that perhaps, the criticism in this case is more of a personal nature.
I've served on TB several times over the past two decades. And while the current TB is indeed 'rambunctious' at times, it is all sweetness and light compared to some of the TBs I have served on. It's the nature of bringing disparate but passionate people together to address issues: sometimes folks are going to butt heads. @:-)

As for other votes, there is often quite a bit of discussion in the private forum about that sort of thing. After all, missing votes in one of the enumerated causes for Censure and Removal from the TB.

Originally Posted by Dovster
There is a very simple answer to correct this situation. MSPeconomist, now that you are awake, are you in favor of the motion?

If you would vote "No" or abstain, that ends the debate. There are not enough members in favor to pass it.

On the other hand, if you would vote "Yes", then the member who made the motion should resubmit it. Presumably, everybody would vote the same way they did the first time, and the motion will pass.

This way, your having fallen asleep will have made no difference beyond the minor one of delaying the motion from being passed,
Not to speak for her, but my impression was that she was leaning no or abstain anyway. Either of which would have had the same effect as her not voting, ie, to kill the proposal.

So the status quo prevails and it's on to other things...like Uber.