FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Status Amenity Experiences
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:19 am
R
formerly PrePress420

I have lifetime Diamond, having earned that 10 years ago when they offered lifetime if you stay 60 days or more in a year.
When I call for a reservation, always directly to the hotel, I let them know I am Diamond and ask them to make a note for a request for upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, etc. As the saying goes, it all depends who you get; that is, if I am unsure of the clerk on the phone, I will call back later and get someone else. Also, at my regular stays, I work with my favorite clerks and avoid the indifferent or incompetent.
If staying for more than one night I get points because 250 miles are only given for the entire event. Also, you should get many times more points than a standard guest. i.e., I once had a nine month stay on a project and got over 80,000 miles by converting points, and had an excellent room for standard price. That got me a World Business Class ticket to Europe, round-trip from the West Coast.
Ask for any amenity kits at check-in. Many have toiletries-combo which are always useful.
Shop around if you are going to be in an area of more that one BW. See who has apartments with kitchenettes, etc. In 2013 I did a 6 week stay and had such a unit, with a recliner chair, and the kitchen came with all utensils and culinary for standard price.
So ask, ask, ask, when you call, and shop around. One example for instance is San Diego, Cailifornia. There are horrible BW's there and a very good one on Harbor Blvd, where upon informing them of status will treat you like royalty with a great view of the fishing boats from your tenth floor deck, and a better price than Old Town, which is only 10 minutes away and no view. Alas, Harbor Blvd has a smallish breakfast nook. But there is a fancy BW not far that will be happy to charge you $400 for a suite.
In the San Francisco Bay Area prices can fluctuate wildy as well as offerings..and for a good deal for price check out the BW on Fisherman's Wharf. There is one in Hayward, of all places, that has nice apartments with Jacuzzi and full no kidding full breakfast at a good price that is right off the freeway and close enough to commute to Silicon Valley or S.F.
In Amsterdam, Netherlands, be advised that some BW's have merged adjoining buildings so it can be a maze and not always a pleasant one. I enourage reading reviews to avoid unwanted surprises.

Last edited by R; Apr 6, 2015 at 8:13 am