FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Camera Body vs. Lenses
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:06 am
deniah

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Hey guys, newbie here looking for advice. Going to be taking some amazing trips this year and 2016 which will allow for some truly spectacular photo possibilities.

I've been told to spend less on a camera body and more on lenses. Do you agree? And if so, can you possibly help get me started with what I need. I don't need the "best of the best" but I certainly don't want the "worst of the worst" either.

Thanks.
hate to sound like a cliche but education goes wayyy longer than equipment. that is, entry-level modern equipment is so good the bottleneck is the operator.

what matters on a body is ergonomics, size, weight, your familiarity with its controls - access to the settings that you need. this is a personal topic and learned through experiment. canon, nikon, pentax, samsung, fuji, etc will do it all differently.

the only reason to stray away from kit lens is that they are typically slow. this limits the creativity in the render of your shot, and also can induce motion blur in low light. you can fall into the trap of getting into primes, specialty lenses, ultra-fast lenses, but really all you need is a relatively fast wide-short tele zoom.

olympus 12-40/2.8
panasonic 12-35/2.8
samsung 16-50/2-2.8
fuji 16-55/2.8
fuji 18-55/2-2.8
pentax 16-50/2.8
pentax 17-70/4
sony 24-70/4
sony 28-135/4
canon or nikon 24-70/2.8 or 4 or 24-105 or 24-120
etc

so: a camera body youre comfortable with, and a fast aperture standard lens will do it

the rest of the nitpicky differentiation that companies market: 20% more dynamic range, 10 more autofocus points, 2 more frames per second, less chromatic aberration, flatter focus field.......... its like trying to upsell grandma on PDDC, PCCB, and PASM for her Porsche so she can lap the racetrack faster