FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quality problems with Tumi Alpha luggage
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:21 am
Oakfield

I own a Tumi T3 roller bag, the one with the rotating handle. It's very comfortable in the hand but poorly designed. I took great care not to abuse it, but the handle broke on me 3 times in about 3 years. The last time it broke, it would not go down at all when I got to the airport. After 10 minutes of trying to collapse it, I ended up having to fly with it in the "up" position... and of course it was broken in half when I retrieved it from baggage claim. This is not what I expect from a $600 suitcase.

Unfortunately I had to fly overseas the next week, and the loaner Tumi offered while they were repairing my T3 bag (for the third time) was old and dirty, so I spent another $800 on a large Tumi Alpha bag that has a more traditional handle. I needed a larger bag anyway and the salesperson swore that the Alpha line was a lot more durable.

Within a year, I had two zipper pulls go missing. I understand this is part of the design, but if the zipper pulls are designed to fall off, they should provide a few spares when charging this amount of money for a suitcase.

6 months and a few trips later, the handle on the Alpha refused to raise up when I got to the airport. It was absolutely no fun trying to move a 50lb. bag with two wheels through a large airport. At least it was in the "down" position though. Tumi repaired it and it's been fine for the past 4 years, other than the zipper pulls that seem to fall off every other flight.

Oh, and the locks that came with both bags each broke within 2 years. The one that came with the T3 literally came apart at the seam.

Should you really have to go through all of this when purchasing a bag that is marketed as high-end and very durable, with a price to match?