FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mysterious Myanmar: Yangon, Inle Lake, Bagan and Mandalay
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:47 am
jmgriffin

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks to all for the kind words!

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I really can't wait for this.
I had already everything booked for Birma and then I saw Burdain's show
and it looked awful. Absolutely disappointing. His train ride
and the surroundings were awful and Bagan which has been on my list
for as long as I can remember looked like nothing I would like to photograph...

Maybe you can show it differently...
Challenge accepted, we hope to change your thinking!

Originally Posted by Madone59
jmgriffin You write great TR's - I'm looking forward to this one! I was in CHS a few weeks ago and was going to PM for you restaurant recommends but forgot until I saw your TR
Haha, thanks. Let me know next time you're there, I'd be happy to try and point you in the right direction although it's hard to go wrong dining in Charleston.

Originally Posted by azj
Looking forward to the rest of this report! I visited Burma a few years ago staying in Yangon, Inle Lake and Bagan. Unfortunately I ran out of time for Mandalay, but there's always next time. Aside from 24 hours of pure torture while in Inlay Lake from either stomach flu or food poisoning, it was a fantastic trip! I felt rather fortunate to visit at the beginning of the Burma "trend" and caught a glimpse of this Nation and its friendly people.
The people were so friendly, that's likely one of our favorite parts. Not too many Burmese have had their attitudes changed by spoiled or entitled tourists, yet.

Originally Posted by worldiswide
We were lucky enough to be there before the trend.. in 2004 and it was really special and magical. We want to go back to see the change but I really will bemoan the globalization of the place. Did Yangon and was there the day t hey moved the capital, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. Shwedegon is one of the most amazing sights anywhere.
Wow 2004, you were really ahead of the trend! There's construction everywhere you look in Yangon now but the influx of Western businesses hasn't hit too hard yet, although a lot of other Asian capital appears to be flooding in.