FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Camera Body vs. Lenses
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 pm
bumfluff

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Hey guys, newbie here looking for advice. Going to be taking some amazing trips this year and 2016 which will allow for some truly spectacular photo possibilities.

I've been told to spend less on a camera body and more on lenses. Do you agree? And if so, can you possibly help get me started with what I need. I don't need the "best of the best" but I certainly don't want the "worst of the worst" either.

Thanks.
Definitely spend your money on a nice lens vs. a "pro" body. A not so serious, maybe outdated test done by digital rev on youtube is entertaining if nothing else.

I would say get a really nice wide to mid zoom, while fast primes are amazing I would say get your hands on a nice zoom and find what focal lengths you like working with and then take the plunge into a fast prime. You don't want to be limited when your first starting out and while primes are still superior in the IQ dept. good zooms have closed the gap in recent years.

Not sure what your budget is, but I would look at something like the Canon 24-105 f/4 L (or the better, faster, and more expensive 16-35L and/or the 24-70L) and then pair it with a midrange Canon xxD body. The Canon 6D represents a pretty good value in the full frame category. The Sigma Art line is also worth checking out.