FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:32 am
milesandmoremiles

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
There have been other reports of this happening in another thread. I don't know if any of those posters were ultimately successful.

But I mean if CX insists you were on an award ticket then dispute the ticket cost with your CC with documentation from CX that it was an award flight...

I did this c. 2008 and didn't have any issues with miles posting to AA.
Bad advice!! This is not a valid dispute. Having fraudulent/invalid disputes on a CC can lead to account closure. Also it was technically an award as miles were used towards the upgrade. It's an upgrade award.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Isn't the airline the fraudulent party here, since they're making untrue statements (that the ticket was an award) and withholding part of what was purchased (the credit of mileage)?

In any case, the two parties have a dispute as to whether what was delivered was the same as to what was purchased (or, according to the airline, the nature of what was purchased), which is exactly what the credit card dispute process is there for.

Kudos to ijgordon for using his/her right through the credit card company to not be abused!
there is no right to filing fraudulent/invalid disputes!!

Originally Posted by hillrider
I guess the miles are always theirs to begin with (or some other legal loophole), so the fact that they didn't provide any to the purchaser is irrelevant, notwithstanding the fact that they specifically say that they come with the purchase (subject to actually flying, which the OP did) on their website:
Silly me who relies on AA's written statements!
Take a look at the statement closer. It says has to be booked in an eligible code. Unfortunately the upgrade award books into ineligible code. Not saying that's right but by definition the ticket would not be eligible for mileage.