FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:43 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fayewolf
Gotcha-
Doesn't matter if it's saver or standard award? Sfo-FRA is avai- does that mean I should be able o confirm the upgrade if I booke q class or higher?
I would still book sfo- vie and select the corresponding flights, not multiple and selecting legs myself right?
Sorry for the crazy questions.
These are the GPU basics:

UA operated flight. Purchased fare class must be W or higher. For the GPU to clear at booking, there must be R available. You can check for R using expert mode. If R is not available, you can waitlist the GPU. Very much a gamble, especially on routes such as SFO-FRA.

LH operated flight. Purchased fare class must be Q or higher. If there is business saver (not standard) award inventory, the upgrade should clear at booking. You can check for business saver award inventory by doing an award search on united.com. You can also waitlist the GPU. A flight such as SFO-FRA on the LH A380, with something like 96 J seats, is generally a better waitlist gamble than the UA flight (with 52 J seats).