FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Plat downgrade onboard by Gate Agent - and more DL Shenanigans
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:20 pm
yohanson

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Anudoric
The only way to be consistent is by consistently processing upgrades before boarding only. If a GA had to go to the last row to upgrade a passenger and it's close to departure, there will be a delay.

I think it's bad customer service to delay 150 passengers in order to process an upgrade at the last minute. Overall it nets positive customer service to only upgrade at the gate to ensure on-time departures. And all GAs should notify all passengers who are 1-3 on the upgrade list that they should wait to board.

I've seen #25 GM get upgraded because he waited until the end of boarding to take a phone call.

Too many GAs want to be nice and process upgrades onboard, but they can't be consistent because when they see their upgrade in row 40 they find any medallion in row 4 and upgrade that one randomly. Consistency in policy over anything else is important (to me).

If Delta tells me that it's their policy to do X and expect Y, then I should always get to expect Y whether that might be a good or bad thing.
I've been pulled from the back at least a half dozen times. This was the policy of NWA as well as other airlines. Pulling people from the back doesn't take any extra time and it's the most fair way of doing it as opposed to the slackers waiting around in the gate for a no show.