FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [UK] My first Gold card year is almost over. Options? [Consolidated]
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:10 pm
tjeuk

Programs: BA Silver (clawing back to Gold!), Honours Gold, IHG Platinum, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond
Sounds reasonable, my strategy is similar, with a few tweaks

- Hold and keep the BAPP, fee is worth the companion voucher. All Amex spend not covered by the gold card goes on this.

- Hold the gold card for fuel, supermarket, travel, etc spend. Retain for 12 months, get the anniv bonus, cancel for 6 months and repeat. (104k MRs last cycle - lots of double dip with fuel at supermarkets, etc)

- Cycle other Amex cards (currently churning nectar - effectively £100 cashback) but see also SPG, etc in the 'off gold' season.

- Hold and keep the tesco clubcard mastercard - useful for double CC points on fuel as a CC, and any non amex spend.

- Hold and keep the IHG premium visa. Useful for plat status, IHG spend, and non amex spend.

The only grey area I have is which I derive most value from - either the IHG or Tesco cards - I should try and pin this down a little more. If I were eligible for the HSBC premium mastercard, then I would - sadly not currently.