FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] JFK-AUH $187 rt ai
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:59 pm
bmrisko

Originally Posted by RustyC
It's with some trepidation that I put in a reservation on rentalcars.com for a Toyota Yaris for 4 days (automatic) with Hertz with a package deal including the theft protection, third party liability, etc., but not the $9/day thing they try to sell with excess protection (which would seem to duplicate what you would get with the credit card coverage and won't stop them from putting a hold on the card). Total 4-day cost was $134, cancellable up to a day before. Renting from Hertz is a real plus.

Have driven before in Costa Rica, Canada, South Africa, Mexico (Baja), and Australia, so it's not something totally new. But a few things I've read say that Emiratis drive like maniacs with one of the highest death rates in the world. OTOH, a car would make it easier to get to places like Yas Island or even possibly al-Ain, if not further afield. Is the UAE a good country for renting a car? Comments welcome.
I too have driven in other places like Costa Rica, but after spending a week in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, there is no way in hell I'd drive there. People have absolutely no regard for others on the road. Taxis are cheap and plentiful...witnessing it all from the back of our hired cars was enough to tick me off.