FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:25 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1; Nexus 5 Build/LMY47D) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by numruk
I was flying YTZ - EWR round trip. I'd already flew into EWR with a NEXUS pass only, accepted both at check-in and at the gate in Toronto, which is why I will admit one point: I was unaware that Porter official policy is to insist on a passport.

The GE machines do in fact allow you to clear without a passport, or any documentation actually, if you press the button on the screen that says "Trouble reading travel document", then fill out your name and birthdate. It looks you up and you do your fingerprints and you're through just fine and dandy. So I got into the United States just fine with only my NEXUS. The problem arose when trying to leave, as the human element insisted very rudely on a passport only. I believe the exact words were, "NEXUS is Canadian, we don't accept that here in America". I guess that it's issued by the US Government is above their pay grade.

Anyhow, flying from YYZ to EWR on Air Canada I'm able to clear pre-screening with only my NEXUS, I am not asked for a passport by anyone. Likewise, the gate agent explicitly invited everyone to show "a passport OR a NEXUS card" when boarding was announced on the PA.

Flying Can-US on Air Canada from YYZ using only a NEXUS is completely, 100% okay and endorsed by AC, both on their website and in person. I'll be travelling with them in the future.
I'm surprised this worked on the outbound. I've been stopped boarding with Nexus at YTZ and asked for a passport. I would have surmised they're more aware of their rule there than at the outstations.