FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:42 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by n3xu5
Not true, at least in the USA, Canada and EU, no airlines can require a passport for a domestic flight.

Back to the TSA list, I never really noticed that if you are a US citizen without passport or driver’s licence, you don’t have a lot of other options to travel by air domestically. Is this the reason why some people think they need a passport to take a domestic flight? At least in Canada everyone has a… health insurance card.
Note that compared to other countries (and conditional on socioeconomic status, education, income, age, etc.), relatively few USA citizens have passports.

TSA is required to accept nondriver state ID cards (essentially licenses to drink but also used for check cashing, hotel check in, voting where photo ID is required, etc.), passport cards, GE cards, probably NEXIS/SENTRY too, and IIRC military ID. They should also accept government employee ID cards as they're government issued photo ID, but this is likely to cause delays at most checkpoints.

I always travel with my passport and use it as ID because my driver's license contains my home address. I don't think it's a good idea to show my home address to random TSA minimum wage employees who are aware that I will be away from home. For that matter, it's not necessarily wise to show one's home address to some random bartender or store clerk IMO.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 30, 2015 at 9:49 am Reason: shorten quote