FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:36 pm
nnanlno

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
kinda wished this thread came earlier, as i just booked one last week after lurking (and studying) on FT for months. but props to OP nonetheless!

this is what i booked, all on Y:

YYZ-ORD (lay)
ORD-CDG (stop)
CDG-VIE (22 hours layover)
VIE-VEN (open jaw)
FCO-EWR (lay)
EWR-YYZ

all comes to $250 YQ/tax in + $30 call centre fee

one question about the itin above. over the phone, the CSR said the itin would not have been valid, if the VIE layover was made a stop instead. is this true? i never understood why. i thought i was allowed 2 stops + 1 open jaw?

originally, i wanted to book the following:
YYZ-EWR (lay)
EWR-LHR (open jaw)
AMS-VIE (lay)
VIE-FCO (stop)
FCO-EWR (lay)
EWR-YYZ

however, i was told that the open jaw is invalid, since FCO is my furthest leg (destination?), and the open jaw must be just before or after that. is that true?

if wanted to visit london, it would be great to be able to fly in LHR (instead of out, to avoid the hefty airport fee for departing from LHR), work the way inward to mainland via eurostar, then out at another city further east. (originally i was thinking london (eurostar) -> paris (thalys) -> amsterdam). but given the above, it sounds like it's only plausible to do LHR as open jaw starter, then return at MAD, BCN, LIS and the likes. (and unfortunately these options were available on my desired return dates)

Last edited by nnanlno; Mar 29, 2015 at 10:28 pm Reason: typo