FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:47 am
bullfrog

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Also of note to everyone, and this should come as no surprise as we've already long established that Ireland is a rough place for cards (with DCC scams running rampant), but I found the Irish banking industry's website talking about swipe and chip/signature cards:

http://www.safecard.ie/retailers/acc...payment-cards/

I'd take pretty much everything in that article with a grain of salt. For example, this statement:
Some countries use this practice for all transactions, e.g. in the Netherlands, customers are required to key in a PIN, sign a receipt and show photo ID when making purchases.
is complete horse-pucky. Over the past 4 months I've spent about three weeks in the Netherlands overall, using both PIN-preferring chip cards AND non-chipped cards, and NEVER have I been asked to show photo ID for any purchase. The PIN-based transactions were just enter a PIN and be done, and the signature-based transactions were just sign the receipt and be done-- no photo ID, no scrutiny of my signature, etc.

(If anyone's wondering why I'd use a magstrip-only card, well, on my earlier trips I only had the UNFCU card and did not want to pay the 1% FTF where I didn't have to. For the more recent trips I've had my 0% FTF HAA EMV card and have been using that primarily.)