FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetBlue Flight 191 Pilot sues Airline
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:35 am
rayikes

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blue2002
Did some of the preceding posters even read the linked article?!?!

The guy is suing because he feels the airline should have easily spotted that he was not fit to fly (appearance, demeanour, disorientation, missed pre-flight briefing all allegedly indicating that something was wrong). He is not arguing that he was fit to fly.

It is irrelevant how many people it took to hold him down. As to the compensation... If the airline is shown to have been negligent by allowing him to fly that day... he and all others on board may be rightly entitled.

If the pilot has good evidence, this will be interesting to watch.
In my opinion this is a shameless effort to profit off a terrible tragedy (grant it, he appears to have filed on the last day of eligibility so I concede it also could be an unfortunate coincidence).

While I understand what you are saying blue2002 (or paraphrasing from the article), does that really make sense? Should your employer send you to a pysch eval if you miss a phone call or are frazzled? It's pretty common to see people worked up before/during the early parts of a presentation, after running late to something, after speaking to certain people and the list goes on; are they in imminent danger of a "severe mental disease or defect"?

Pilots are supposed to evaluate themselves before flights and gauge risk. It's part of ADM (Aeronautical Decision Making http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/22624) process. I am only familiar with the scoring for private aviation, but surely the pilot should have realized there was some concern.

The former pilot should count his blessings that he's not in prison or paying for the diversion and move on. It's sad his career is over, but I'm sure he can still find work in the industry.