FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:27 am
MG49

Originally Posted by Domat
I'll never understand the allure of these "high end" hotels. What do you guys do in your hotels that makes the value of these places so high? I can understand it in a resort with a great pool and maybe beach access but a city hotel?

A comment above mentioned something along the lines of "if you only want a roof over your head" well I ask what else do you want? What do you get from these 5 star hotels?

I read VFTW report for the much loved park vendome and he mentioned it was the greatest hotel he had stayed at but the pictures and description was just one of a basic hotel room.

If you are going to say service please be more specific. What is this service that is worth many hundreds of dollars more?
While I can't speak for others, I think part of it is because you're traveling with a spouse or family. It would be nice to have a more upscale room if that's the case, especially if it's a spouse who thinks what we do is a little sketchy.

For me, I usually travel alone and I travel to experience the destination. I usually spend very little time in my hotel room. So as long as the bed is comfortable and it's clean, I'm not looking for much else. This way, the points get me many more nights. I also travel only domestically so far. I just took a solo road trip for a week and every night was covered through IHG points. I stayed at either Holiday Inn Express for 15k points (with free breakfast), or at a Candlewood Suites for 10k points.

I understand not everybody has the same preference as myself, but when I look at the amount of time I spend in an actual room, I prefer quantity over quality when using points. Now I wouldn't stay at a Super 8 or anything similar, but at Holiday Inn or Candlewood the beds, showers, and cleanliness has been fine for me for the limited amount of time I'm in there.