FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxurious, Clean, Delightful, Incredible India in F (EK/AI) + Some Amazing Hotels
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:03 am
blueline7

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by flyr16
Any photos of the rugs....?

yes, that would peeve me beyond belief. Great report.
Hahha...No photos of the rugs I am afraid...It took quite a bit of gumption to get up and demand to be taken back to the hotel...It was very awkward and would have appeared quite rude to a casual observer. Nevertheless, it is that inclination to be polite that is preyed upon. I don't begrudge the guide or the store trying to make a living, but it was clearly undertaken by subterfuge.

Originally Posted by worldiswide
We had a similar experience in Delhi with guides. We had booked with the concierge at the Taj in Delhi. We reviewed the itinerary with the concierge prior to leaving, and instead of following our request, the guide said he had somewhere to take us. We realized it immediately and did not get out the car and asked to return to the hotel. The concierge was embarrassed and apologized profusely and provided another driver. Yes we were unhappy, but I also think we got a little insight into how things work in India even at high end hotels. OTOH, throughly enjoyed India.. a feast for g he senses and unique with much history and grandeur. I suggest reading Indian fiction as well. Rohatin Mistri a delicate balance rushdie novels Midnight Children and not an Indian author City of Joy. great report
Many thanks for the great suggestions. I did see a (fiction) funny movie as part of my prep; Delhi Belly.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Good timing.

We're headed to the Leela Palace New Dehli in 2 weeks time for a similar 4 hour tour, among other things.

It was interesting to hear of the issues you had with the tour and the usual carpet factory. I wouldn't think that it would happen at that price point - it's by far not the cheapest tour on the block.
I would not let this dissuade anyone from the Leela Palace or taking a tour through them. As I said, it was an excellent hotel and the tour and guide were great, aside from this episode. If you let them know right up front that there is no way in hell you want to go to a carpet store, etc., I am sure that it will be fine. On our next stay there (which I will relate later on in the report), the stay and service was even better than this first stay, although I was admittedly on my guard a bit as a result. Enjoy the Leela, and please let me know if you have any questions about it.