FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:37 am
AllieKat

Originally Posted by tmiw
The wording makes it sound like they're talking about magstripe-only transactions, not chip and signature.

The CSR may very well have been confused. If the card can only be used at Target there's almost no point in chipping it, especially since there's apparently a PIN for it already. As for the MasterCard they still have until October to turn on EMV at their locations since there's a magstripe. We'll see though.
The CSR didn't tell me that, Target said it somewhere (too lazy to find a link now) that only the MasterCard would have chip. I cannot imagine they'd turn on chip support for their own cards BEFORE the major networks. Thus, if they're going to start shipping out their own cards this month, the terminal support needs to be there very soon.

And even if magstripe, a store has NO business deciding what they think the gender of a person is.

P.S. Discover now has some more chip designs available again. I'll wait a bit to re-order another Mix Tape card, especially since the two I have now work at Walmart, so the underlying issue may have been Discover, not the physical cards.

Last edited by AllieKat; Mar 29, 2015 at 2:05 am