FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:55 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Also of note to everyone, and this should come as no surprise as we've already long established that Ireland is a rough place for cards (with DCC scams running rampant), but I found the Irish banking industry's website talking about swipe and chip/signature cards:

http://www.safecard.ie/retailers/acc...payment-cards/

Quite the opposite of the British equivalent, it outright encourages harassment of cardholders. It allows ID requests, but even more I found this statement absolutely sickening:

"Does the title on the card match the gender of the person presenting it?"

What business of a shop is it to make a determination of the gender of a shopper? Furthermore, as the title (if present) on a card will generally reflect biological sex, not actual gender, they're not even starting on the right foot...
The wording makes it sound like they're talking about magstripe-only transactions, not chip and signature.

Originally Posted by lordsutch
I assume the "no magstripe" Redcards will be the store-only debit and credit cards; obviously you'd need a magstripe on the co-branded (ex-Visa, now MasterCard) credit card.
The CSR may very well have been confused. If the card can only be used at Target there's almost no point in chipping it, especially since there's apparently a PIN for it already. As for the MasterCard they still have until October to turn on EMV at their locations since there's a magstripe. We'll see though.