FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Something about Gogo drains battery?
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:38 pm
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Dude, get rid of Safari and use Chrome with the Ghostery app. DRAMATICALLY speeds up surfing. Ghostery is a mild PITA on the iPad since you have to specify a proxy server for each Wifi connection, but definitely worth it. You miss having to download tons of crap ads, etc.
I used chrome forever but switched back to Safari because the LastPass extension works with it now. I'll check out Ghostery.

Originally Posted by JerMah
Placebo.

I have been in the IT field for decades and what Paint Horse said is true. A wifi AP won't affect the way your device connects. It's either connected or it's not. Maybe you're using the device more in the air as that's your only good IFE? Whereas at home you'd have TV, the wife, the kids, etc to "interrupt" your usage and therefore limit the wifi access requests?
Not a placebo at all. The iPad was warm to the touch on the plane, while it is quite cool using it for extended periods at home (or now, at the hotel). Also, after an hour of use on the ground the battery was still at 95% or so vs the 80ish on the plane.

Perhaps it wasn't the access point itself. Perhaps it was something else about the in-flight wifi.