FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:01 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
Not sure if this has been answered but I have searched to no avail. My wife and I are both CP's now showing as ExPlats on AA.com. On US we can be on the same itinerary and get upgraded and seated together automatically. If we fly AA as two ExPlats on the same itinerary will be both be upgraded at the same time and seated together or passed over as not eligible for upgrade? Do we need to start booking on separate itineraries?
Both being EXP or not, if you are on the same PNR you will only be upgraded when/if two seats open up at the same time. AA does have a habit of only releasing one seat at a time, so you will be passed over. SOMETIMES you can get the EXP Desk to contact RM to make an exception for EXPs and especially if both are EXPs (but don't count on it).

Conventional wisdom suggests your chances are better to book separately. This way you should be right next to each other for upgrades and should get the next two seats even if only released one at a time.

As for remaining seated together, that's a total crapshoot. Even if you are both on the same PNR and a seat change is implemented automatically, there is no guarantee you will be next to each other. It's wise to keep an eye on your rez and make adjustments as needed. If you are upgraded but not able to get seats together, polite negotiations once onboard usually will accomplish the task.