FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:55 am
wilful

Originally Posted by yoggieb
Hi,

I got an email from US Airways saying that my miles have expired as my last activity was June 14, 2013.

They listed a couple of options which I could get my miles reinstated. One of them is earning miles through the Dividendmiles Storefront.

However, when I logged into my account, the options listed were different. I do not have the option to reinstate through the DM Storefront.

Should I still trying to reinstate my miles through the DM Storefront or pay $250 to reinstate my miles?
You may want to wait a couple of weeks because of this:

Travelers will see the most tangible sign yet of the US Airways-American Airlines merger this weekend when US Airways' frequent flier program is absorbed into American's.

US Airways' Dividend Miles program will fade into history as members' miles are automatically transferred into American's AAdvantage program beginning Saturday, March 28. The transition is a major merger milestone for the carriers, who combined in December 2013 but still have separate operations.

Travelers will be notified via e-mail when the process is complete on their account. Dividend Miles members without an existing American AAdvantage account will be the first to be notified, likely on Saturday, with American providing their new AAdvantage number and account balance. Those with accounts in both programs and with "elite'' frequent flier status will take longer.

The airline expects the overall transition to continue into the middle of the next week. US Airways has 30 million Dividend Miles members, American, 70 million AAdvantage members, though the combined program will have fewer than 100 million because of overlap between the two.

"It's going to vary on a customer by customer basis,'' said Suzanne Rubin, president of the AAdvantage program. "For many of them, it will be quite rapid. For others, there may be portions of activity that take a couple of days to finish out.''