FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:17 am
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Back in 2012, the JW Marriott Bangkok totally barred children from the 16th executive lounge. As a result, I wrote the GM protesting and this is his response:

Dear Mr. Kalboz

I like to acknowledge receipt of your email below. Please accept my apologies for the delayed reply as I have been out of the office. Meanwhile I have read your comments and I hasten to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused to your family and you with our “no children” policy at the Executive Lounge.

First I like to thank you for returning to the JW Marriott Bangkok after over a year. It would have been nice to have you back if it isn’t for the children’s policy.

We introduced these rules at the beginning of the year after having received constant complaints from corporate companies and corporate travelers about disturbances created by children in the Lounge. Given that the JW Marriott Bangkok is predominantly a business hotel we have judged for this to be the right step in order to protect privacy, atmosphere and expectations of our corporate clientele.

We are now reviewing this policy in light of your comments as we understand the implications this rule has for families and leisure travelers. The outcome will likely be that we allow children again, however reserving the right to engage parents if children misbehave or are loud (crying etc). We are in process of formulating these changes and hope to change the policy to a less stringent rule.

Needless to add that I would be delighted to have your family and you back in the near future again as you have indeed been one of our loyal guests over the years.

Thank you for taking time and trouble to write to me and sending you best regards

Peter Caprez
Subsequently, and as the above letter indicates, the JWM reconsidered its policy of totally barring little children from enjoying the executive lounge and changed it to allow children between 9 AM to 5 PM. Do we seldom see children at the lounge during happy hour? Sure, sometimes - but it is against hotel policy. Maybe they have changed it since!