FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical tourism in Bangkok
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:16 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Hardly medical tourism. I would strongly counsel against many surgical procedures because of three demonstrable factors;
1. The risk of post surgery complications (i.e. infections is higher). The overuse of antibiotics in Thailand is a known fact and the drug resistant infections are more severe.
2. The surgical techniques and equipment are often several years behind that found in North American and EU hospitals. A classic example is cataract surgery. In the better private clinics in North America the surgeon can measure the underside angle needed for the lens. Still can't do this in Thailand. The laser based equipment is the latest, and training is up to date. I believe Thailand lags. Also, the costs are sometimes better in North America. E.g. Cataract surgery is available in Canada as a private service @ $2500- $4000 on average and offers the best of the best if one uses the right clinic.
3. Almost no recourse in Thailand in the event of malpractice. In fact, there is no way of a patient ever knowing if a physician has been disciplined or suspended or sanctioned.
Malpractice happens. The Thai approach is to deny and obfuscate.

There is a reason why Thai hisos seek medical treatment in Singapore, Europe, Australia and the USA.