FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a more pathetic inflight Wifi than EK??
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:58 pm
vieri_c

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Are you sure it was because of the number of users? I've been on this forum for a number of years, and I don't recall too many complaints about the wifi.

I experienced issues once where I could just about log in, but then I only managed to get a couple of pages loaded before it died again. This was before the "almost free" wifi. The purser reset the system a couple of times, but it just wouldn't fix it.
There are certainly regional variations with regards to the speed of the connection, going over europe and the middle east seems to have more reliable speeds, of course just like any bandwidth limited service, the greater the number of users, the slower it gets. I am sure one can see the number of connected users onboard when you log in.

the fastest speed I ever experienced was on an older 777-300ER, it was older as it had the first generation ICE yet it had amazing connection speed to the point that I was on facetime video with my parents! ( J cabin was pretty empty and kept my voice down so no one else was disturbed, I promise!)
It was just before EK announced the current internet service, I remember the purser announcing that wifi internet was free for all to use during the welcome announcement, I thought I misheard!

I do wonder if there was some way of giving higher preference to J/F cabin for bandwidth speed, I seem to get the fastest speeds when travelling there instead of Y. Or is it just a case of less dense cabin hence less connected to that particular channel?