FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:01 pm
captiveguru

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
Would you consider me to be a poacher? On a domestic flight I had a window seat but sat down on the aisle. When the rightful occupant arrived, I stood up, explained to her that I am at risk for DVT and my doctor told me that I will have to walk around several times during the flight.

I said that I would respect her decision as to which seat she prefers but would be forced to bother her several times to get in and out of my seat.

She took the window seat.
I think I would consider you a seat poacher. You were in her seat and you expected her to acquiesces to your STR.

If you are at higher risk for DVT why did you not select an aisle seat? Why not make this condition known to the GA? If necessary, why not arrive at the gate early to make it more likely the GA could accommodate you?

BTW - Do you check the weather before boarding to make sure there is a low likelihood of turbulence and that the seat belt sign will be turned off during your walks? Do you advise the FAs that you will be walking even if the seat belt sign is on due to your condition?