FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 am
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I've got a hunch that people who are not getting Visa Signature Alaska cards don't have at least three open and reporting credit cards, each with at least $10K limits. I could be completely wrong. It might be helpful if some people could chime in who didn't get the signature card.

What was your third highest credit limit at the time?
What was your total exposure with BoA/FIA cards?
What was your overall utilization rate?
After having reduced some CLs on purpose to facilitate instant approvals with Citi and Chase, I still had around 6 open cards with $10K or more CLs. One of which was an AMEX Bus Plat. In addition to a checking account with B of A where I park a large sum of cash for emergency purposes, which haven't happened so it's been just sitting there for several years now. My overall CL Utilization is less than 1 %.

Nevertheless, 3 times in a row I have gotten instant approvals for an AS Plat. Calling Recon each time, they have no problem upping the CL to a Sig level, and filling out the paperwork to change it to a Sig. This last time I did a 2BM app, the first going directly to a Plat, but the second went pending. Recon took all of maybe 60 seconds to approve the pending one for a Sig with an $8k CL, and increase the CL on the Plat to the $5K required for a Sig.

None of this makes any sense. If Recon will almost instantly approve me for a combined $13K, why am I getting Plat approvals by the computer?

The only possible explanation I've heard is from sdsearch, who said it's because I tend to cancel B of A cards after 3 or 4 months before reapplying, rather than keeping them open and applying for more. BUT, other posters here have said they routinely do that with no problems.