View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:47 am
DanielW

Originally Posted by offerendum
And again I really enjoyed your report
Many thanks, offerendum.

Originally Posted by theshaun
Wow. Just wow.

As always, thanks for sharing yet another one of your great experiences.
Thank you, theshaun, yes only a relatively short trip, but got to pack in some amazing experiences.

Originally Posted by goteed1
Stunning trip report as usual. Thanks so much for the wonderful pics and commentary
Cheers, goteed1, was great fun compiling this report too and reliving all the great memories.

Originally Posted by cheesedawg
Amazing TR! I was planning to do this as well this summer so it was great to see it in action. I can't imagine a better itinerary than the one you did in that many days.

1) What lens did you use for gorillas? In the past I've used 70-200 pretty much exclusively.

2) Who said they are "more wild" there?

3) How was the tour company you used? I had a short conversation with them and they were quick to reply, but basically ignored my request and just sent a default itinerary.
Many thanks, cheesedawg, yes, definitely recommend doing this trip if you're visiting that part of the world.

1. I took my 70-200 f2.8 & 300 f2.8 lenses, and a 1.4x extender too. I swapped between the two lenses while we were there (although a second camera body would have been more ideal).

2. The gorilla's in Rwanda being 'less wild' than compared to DRC was in an article I read: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/c4489...44feabdc0.html

3. I had no problems with Amahoro. I booked a 'default' tour though, so I was a easy client for them.

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Amazing, and moving... thank you
Cheers, SAtraveller, yes, the genocide memorials were quite sombreing, hard to imagine a genocide of that scale (~800,000 deaths) could happen in our lifetime.

Originally Posted by HighlandExpress
Yours are always my favourite trip reports, this one did not disappoint. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the great compliment, HighlandExpress.

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
Wanna go.

Really amazing trip report.
Thanks, LivelyFL, yes, an unforgettable trip to do!

Originally Posted by shefgab
Excellent report, and was a great memory jogger for my trip to Rwanada. I also went with Amahoro Tours, but saw the Gorillias in Rwanda (when it was $500). It's amazing to see them - amazing creatures. Nice that you got to visit the DRC. I was quoted nearly $300 for a visa, so didn't go. The volcano photos are out of this world!
Thank you, shefgab. Yes, the DRC visa can be expensive! Luckily the visa deal ($70) through Virunga park makes it a bit more reasonable.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
What a fantastic, fascinating TR that kept getting more powerful as you moved from the gorillas to the volcano to the memorial. Thanks for sharing all this.

Back to the gorillas: how far away from them were you when you snapped those incredible photos?
Many thanks, Thunderroad. We were 4-6 metres from the gorilla’s, and probably closer at times. We were in really dense jungle, so was hard to keep the mandatory 7 metres distance.

Originally Posted by mike&co
Fabulous report - a break from the standard TR. Stunning pics too, gorillas instead of a luxury hotel, incredible ��
Thank you, mike&co. Yes, don't think there were too many luxury hotels in Goma. Apparently there's a lodge in the park you can stay at though, although would have cost me an extra ~$1000.

Originally Posted by zanskar
I really enjoyed this Daniel, can't remember a trip report on DRC before. The lava lake is amazing
Thanks, zanskar. I'd seen a few pics of the lava lake on the internet, but nothing prepared me for the surreal beauty of seeing it for real!

Originally Posted by MileTex
Amazing and inspiring TR! Your photos were fantastic.
Thank you, MileTex.

Originally Posted by chelsea2
Your reports are truly inspiring and your photos are wonderful. The night by the side of the volcano/lava lake looked so amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, chelsea2. When they said we were camping on the side of a volcano, I thought it would be down in the jungle, not mere metres from the crater edge! Was such a awesome experience.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
The volcano and that night sky are magical. Simply magical. Thank you sharing.
Thanks, themapelligroup. Yes, the views and sights from the top of the volcano definitely made the 5 hour trek up worth it!

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Amazing pictures DanielW. Thank you for posting another unique report.
Thank you, jacobac00.

Originally Posted by cmd320
What an amazing and unique report! All the photos were quite nice, however the ones of the lava pool and starry sky on the volcano were truly extraordinary. ^
Many thanks, cmd320. Yes, the views at 2am when the clouds had cleared were worth crawling out of a warm sleeping bag and venturing out into the cold night.

Originally Posted by PitaPan
Stunning photos and report! Honestly, those shots of the volcano at night, combined with the stars are incredible. Seeing the night sky next to a lava lake is not something I ever pictured together, but now....gotta convince/entice my SO to make the trip.
Thank you, PitaPan. Yes, hope you're successful with convincing your SO.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Fantastic report once again from places most of us would never even consider.
Cheers, Fredrik74.

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Awesome TR, enjoyed every bit of it

Interesting how this town is a compulsory stop for every coaster and safari vehicle

Humm, it really looks like peanut sauce...

Too bad eventual future oil exploration could threaten the gorilla habitat in the Virunga

Do you remenber which group of Gorilla you visited?
For the story in Rwanda, back in February, a "drunk" gorilla punched a photographer...

Indeed and they are called tshukudu.

Wow beautiful picture being probably my favorite, well done!

When i was there in 2013 i was denied taking photos, glad to see the policy has changed

Many thanks for sharing
Thank you, flying_blue_white_red. Yes, Ruhengeri seemed like a happening place. Was tempted in my initial planning to see the Rwandan gorilla's there too, but I think I would have been too exhausted for a fourth day of trekking. Probably was peanut sauce, tasted good anyway. Such a shame about the oil exploration plans, I hope the oil company comes to its senses and stays well clear. I think I was too excited seeing the gorilla's to listen to what the guides were saying about what family we were seeing.

Originally Posted by benjahman
amazing TR and photos, thanks for sharing! ^
Thanks, benjahman.

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Wow what an amazing report! Just when I thought the gorillas were the peak of the whole trip, I then saw the images at the volcano. Amazing! Really felt like we were there on the trip - you know, minus the mosquitos, swarming ants, and outhouses.

Looks like you had a 400mm lens with you (or some other big prime)?

How did you get the shot of the stars and the town? I'm amazed that the stars came out so well even with the light coming from the town.
Many thanks, shogunate03. Yes, I always wanted to see the gorilla’s and I tacked on the volcano trek as an afterthought. Hard to decide which was more amazing afterwards now!

My main lens was a 300mm f2.8. I put a 1.4x extender for some shots though (so it effectively became a 420mm f4 lens).

I just put my camera on a small table and did a long exposure for the stars shot. Not much electricity in Goma so the city lights didn't over power the light from the stars.

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Great, refreshing trip report
Thank you, cardinalkid1891.