FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:14 pm
umc

Originally Posted by awval999
I'm new (but very well read) on the credit card bonus churning game.

First some background. In 2011 I applied an opened a United Mileage Plus Select with the 50k sign on bonus. Over the next few years I put my wife and I's vacation spending on the card (to kind of keep it separate). Last year we flew CLE->LAX and SFO->CLE open jaw and this year we are doing CLE-YVR and PDX -> CLE open jaw (already booked). Obviously for the summer vacation flights to be free, it's intoxicating. But I thought, well, I just blew all the points, we saved some big money, but it's over.

Then I found TPG blog, and One Mile at Time, and started my reading. The plan is to have wife open up a UMP Explorer (already approved and in the mail). Then for me a CSP. Then for her a CSP. To start all over again.

Anyway, to my question. I very stupidly changed my Select to an Explorer last month. Before I started the reading. Before I understood what I was doing. I'm like, hey we're going to Canada no Forex fees on the Explorer. I'm super smart. *Pats self on the back* Chase customer service on the phone was like, are you sure, the Select card isn't made anymore, this is non-revocable and you don't get the bonus. I'm like, whatever lady, no Forex fees. I'm gonna save $50. New Explorer card so pretty, though.

I OBVIOUSLY NOW KNOW I SHOULD HAVE JUST CANCELLED THE SELECT AND APPLIED FOR THE EXPLORER TO GET THE 30K BONUS.

How ****** am I? Can I just cancel the Explorer now? And re-apply for it later this year, or next, or when the 50k offer comes out? Or am I just screwed for the next 24 months because I dumbly changed it to Explorer. And if I should cancel.... should I cancel now? Or wait until after I have the CSP? What about if I call and ask about the bonus? And threaten to cancel unless I get it?

Thanks so much for any answers.
Since you did not receive a signup bonus for the Explorer card, you are still eligible for the signup bonus (55k or 35k). I don't think they will give you the bonus even if you call and threaten to cancel. If you cancel the card now and apply for it in a few months, you should be eligible for the signup bonus. Having the card without receiving the bonus does not make you become ineligible for the bonus, but it makes being approved for the same card a bit difficult. However, it can be done and has been done.