FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:24 pm
awval999

I'm new (but very well read) on the credit card bonus churning game.

First some background. In 2011 I applied an opened a United Mileage Plus Select with the 50k sign on bonus. Over the next few years I put my wife and I's vacation spending on the card (to kind of keep it separate). Last year we flew CLE->LAX and SFO->CLE open jaw and this year we are doing CLE-YVR and PDX -> CLE open jaw (already booked). Obviously for the summer vacation flights to be free, it's intoxicating. But I thought, well, I just blew all the points, we saved some big money, but it's over.

Then I found TPG blog, and One Mile at Time, and started my reading. The plan is to have wife open up a UMP Explorer (already approved and in the mail). Then for me a CSP. Then for her a CSP. To start all over again.

Anyway, to my question. I very stupidly changed my Select to an Explorer last month. Before I started the reading. Before I understood what I was doing. I'm like, hey we're going to Canada no Forex fees on the Explorer. I'm super smart. *Pats self on the back* Chase customer service on the phone was like, are you sure, the Select card isn't made anymore, this is non-revocable and you don't get the bonus. I'm like, whatever lady, no Forex fees. I'm gonna save $50. New Explorer card so pretty, though.

I OBVIOUSLY NOW KNOW I SHOULD HAVE JUST CANCELLED THE SELECT AND APPLIED FOR THE EXPLORER TO GET THE 30K BONUS.

How ****** am I? Can I just cancel the Explorer now? And re-apply for it later this year, or next, or when the 50k offer comes out? Or am I just screwed for the next 24 months because I dumbly changed it to Explorer. And if I should cancel.... should I cancel now? Or wait until after I have the CSP? What about if I call and ask about the bonus? And threaten to cancel unless I get it?

Thanks so much for any answers.

Last edited by awval999; Mar 21, 2015 at 1:35 pm