FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on Items That Meets UA's Size Requirements? Enforcement?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:59 pm
holland

Sizing gate-checked bags?

This week in EWR I asked for a gate check tag from the GA for my roll-aboard when I went to board. He told me to put my bags in the sizer. I gave him a quizical look and asked "Why? It's being gate checked.... I know it's too big for this plane (ERJ145)..." He just said, "Put the bag in the sizer!" and as I started messing with my bags, he says, "We'll just check it to your destination baggage claim." Then I got them in the sizer and said, "Why? They both (roll-aboard & backpack) fit fine? Does this mean you'll let me take it on the plane?" He told me "Close the expander!" (the zipper that lets the bag get about 1" thicker... it was open, but not really needed). No idea why that would make any difference to the ramp guys....

Is this a new policy, to start sizing all the roll-aboards that are being gate checked anyway? First time this happened to me on UA.... F9 started doing that, so they could tell people their stuff wouldn't fit and zing them with a $100 baggage fee... Their sizers were a good 6" smaller than the overheads on their RJ's (let alone the A319 I usually flew on)... revenue generators I guess.

Is UA headed the F9 route, nickel and dimeing passengers for everything they bring on the plane with them? I was on an almost $1,000 ticket this week too... just didn't sit well with me given the revenue.