FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:10 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I'm not surprised that SPG corporate can't do anything to the hotel to force them to take your party, but I am disappointed in both the hotel and SPG's actions.

Since the hotel staffer made promises to you, they should uphold those promises. Especially given most of their excuses are obviously just that given they magically disappear with a 5K food and beverage contract.
True.

But let's go back a couple of steps.

The OP received permission from the hotel staffer to host a "small gathering". Do we know that that staffer knew that the OP had the ludicrous intention of cramming a 32 person party into a pretty small suite and two adjoining bedrooms? And that he intended to have the room so packed that there would even be people squeezed into the window frames?

The hotel has clearly worked out - like we all have - that the OP is trying to host a medium-sized function without paying the market rate for an appropriate function room.

The hotel might be using the $5,000 amount as a means of driving away a guest that isn't worth their while. He has shown that he is very price-sensitive and they may be using price as a tool.

The suite in question has a maximum sleeping occupancy of 3 adult guests. To suggest that a couple could host a party for 30 in it is absurd unless, as I wrote earlier, the hotel is not going to sell the rest of the rooms on the floor and directly above and below.

This hotel has not behaved well. But to me the key issue is whether or not the OP actually told them at the outset that he intended to host a party for 32 in a room which sleeps 3 people.

If he did not explicitly advise them that his "small gathering" was for more than 30 people, then any "breach of contract" ain't on the hotel's side.