FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Housekeeping: Prefer tips or skip cleaning the room?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:51 pm
gourmand73

Housekeeping: Prefer tips or skip cleaning the room?

Hello,

Do you think Housekeeping would prefer to service a room and receive a tip or do you think they would prefer to skip the room if you didn't require it? This is supposing they get paid the full time no matter how many or how little rooms they have to service for the day.

I'm adding the qualifier to the question, as Yoshi212, and LadyPheonix below has brought up a good point that may happen at some properties. - Obviously IF Housekeeping only gets paid by the hours they work and not for the full 8/Hours per day that I assume a full time employee would get, they would prefer more work.

I'm not a messy person and in fact like to tidy up my room before I check out, so most of the time I don't need housekeeping service, and if I do I always leave a generous tip. I've worked in the hotel industry before but have no knowledge of the housekeeping department. I've heard that most hotels have a maximum time allotted for cleaning each room so I'm wondering if you think housekeeping would prefer to service a room and receive a tip or if you think knowing they can skip cleaning a room would be a welcomed relief?

Indicating on your response if you personally know the answer from experience, or if you are working or has worked in the hotel industry would be very helpful. Also if you personally know which Brands/Properties do not pay housekeeping for the full day if they do not have enough rooms to service, that would also be good to know.

Thanks everyone!

PS- Mods if this should be posted somewhere else please let me know.

Last edited by gourmand73; Mar 19, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reason: Amended question.