FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I got/didn't get a MVP/GOLD/75K upgrade on AS (2015)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:11 am
PDXPremier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gaiusbaltar
Please excuse the poor grammar. I pecked this out on my iPhone.

Endventure mentioned in his post that "times are a changing" with respect to upgrades. I think he might be right.

I'm a regular sea-DFW flyer. feb and mar should be my rock solid always upgrade months but lately that hasn't been the case even on Wednesday flights! There's been several flights I didn't get the upgrade. Increasingly, I have seen my name slide further down the upgrade list. I'm a 75k mind you! Just recently I was #4 on the upgrade list on Tuesday going to DFW. #4?!? They had 3 seats available so i hoped on the earlier morning flight to DFW and sat in a middle seat.

My anecdotal report is that upgrades are getting tougher. I've compensated by spending more on my price per ticket and now nearly always book u (m) class when in coach. While that is good for as, my concern is that the new 75ks that got in the door by challenging in to the mileage program and with whom I am now competing with will result in me getting significantly less upgrades. This changes my calculation on the fly as v aa question because when I fly aa u know I am at least getting economy confort (or main cabin extra or whatever it is called). Leg space is important to me! I'd rather have the guaranteed extra leg space on Aa waiting out the 100k I have to fly before executive platinum than know that the only time I'm going to get the extra leg space on AS is when I buy an A class ticket.

I know I could sit in row 15 or 16 but I like to get off the plane fast when we land. So I don't like to sit get far back.

SURE WOULD BE NICE IF AS OFFERED EC SEATS IN COACH.
Hint hint nudge nudge.

Also be nice if they would improve the food offering in F to DFW. It sucks compared to ewr or Dca. It should be the same I think.
Have you tried going via PDX? I think they're adding a DFW red-eye (along with the usual daytime flight) and my guess is that the PDX-DFW flights are MUCH easier for upgrades, not to mention the fact that you get more EQMs from the extra SEA-PDX hop.