FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:35 am
KenHamer
Original Member

Originally Posted by acysb87
Pulled this off the altitude site:

"Minimum Miles

QWhy is the 500 Minimum Miles benefit being removed?

R
The relationship of miles earned and flying behaviour is an important element of our program. On certain short-haul routes, this relationship is skewed when the number of miles earned is rounded up. This change will help to better align the program earning capacity with the distance flown (and fare family purchased)."

So I did a little math.

May 1st YSB/YYZ return May 8th all day flex fares = 671.50 for 500 q miles
I would need 95 segments or 31896.25 for SE on a local run

May 1st YYZ/LAX return May 8th all day flex fares = 928.54 for 4340 q miles
I would need 46+ segments or 21356.42 for SE on a trans border.

By my calculation I pay 1.34 for 1 qualifying mile towards status on a regional route
using same math, the YYZ/LAX route is .214 cents for 1 qualifying mile towards status on a trans border route.

IOW, I am required to pay 6 times more regionally to achieve AC status than a trans border flyer. We both get 2 "Q" segments r/t.

Using AC words, how is this "skewed" ?(change a few letters and real meaning may pop out.)

I have always maintained revenue is important and believe I have paid my way. I still believe the numbers are skewed

The alignment has hit a pot hole

Had some time to kill, hope the math is accurate
Standard two-facedness.

You're on a Tango fare - "I know you flew a lot of miles, but you paid so little. Therefore you should received reduced miles."

You're on a Flex fare - "I know you paid a lot of money, but you only flew 95 miles. Why should you receive 500 miles?"

Intentionally inconsistent.