FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] AA DCA-PEK sub-$450 a/i rt in J
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:23 pm
bellpride

Just some thoughts from a doe-eyed rookie in this game:

I've been monitoring this thread to see if I'll be able to take the trip of a lifetime to Beijing (looks like I will - it's ticketed with a $20 base fare), but learned something else along the way.

How many folks are actually flying to see something other than a bump in their mileage statement? Or their status on AA? Goodness, flying enough RTs to create new status on AS?

How many consider these flights or destinations beneath them? The outdated 2-3-2 J, the destination (saw someone trying to escape "filthy" PEK for BKK?), etc.

I can't even imagine the amount of money this is costing AA, and how their most "loyal" fliers are kicking them when they're down. You already have several tickets, put several more on hold, and you're wielding the DOT axe because they're attempting to cancel your holds? Judging by how my cabins' seatmaps have changed, AA has probably lost 25-50% of its J/F capacity over the next few months...and while I don't know their typical load factors, I'm pretty sure they could sell those seats at a lot more than $120 per segment.

I lost my grandmother in Aachen last year, and the only reason I was able to make her funeral was because of AA off-peak awards. Several months out of college, I had nowhere near the amount of money for a close-in TATL booking, not enough Skypesos (150k?!), not enough MR points to transfer to partners, no UR points at all. Additionally US Airways instantly waived the cancellation fees for my domestic flights without any proof.

And because of that alone, I am loyal to AA/US much more than Delta, even while based in Atlanta. I fly AA on their new ATL-LGA route not because I only have AA/US status (US CP and DL Plat), or it nets me more (H/S/M fares earn plenty under DL's new system), but because I hope the new American succeeds.

This will be the first international business I'll fly in over 175k miles on OW, because it's the first I can afford. And you know what's strange? I'll love the journey. It'll be much more comfortable than Y even though it's 30-50% of a fair price, and I'll get to see the Forbidden Palace, Great Wall, and who knows what else when I get there.

So for all the pure mileage runners, I don't think I'm better than you...we just think differently. I'm also not saying you should give up your tickets or withdraw your DOT complaints. Just know that when this merger finishes and AA's M&A consultants start looking at increasing profit, they're going to look square at DL/UA and start by cutting you out of their bottom line. Revenue-based mileage and minimum spending. And while I'll shake my head and wish the former weren't so, I won't blame them one bit.

And for the AA employees still monitoring this, please know you (unwillingly) gave someone one hell of a Memorial Day present, and that all my just-DL colleagues are jealous, because they know I'm more loved than they are.