FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions re complicated award booking
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:24 am
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions re complicated award booking

I'm hoping to fly my wife and myself next year on an award booking on the following itinerary:

SFO-LAX (UA domestic F, a 2-cabin plane)
LAX-NRT (SQ F)
NRT-SIN (SQ F)
SIN -SGN (SQ J, since no F on this route)

I might also do it in reverse coming back, if possible. (The more-complicated-than-necessary routing is to fly on the A380 for the two big legs.)

I have a few questions:

1. Is the 15 percent discount for online award bookings still being offered by SQ?
2. If the 15 percent discount is still being offered, am I correct in assuming that I must call to get it since it seems that booking a mixed class ticket like this online is not possible?
3. If I must call, is it still the same difficult process of getting a CSR to book with the discount? When I tried a couple of years ago it ultimately worked out for me (and for other participants in this thread): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...f-classes.html. But it was quite a hassle involving several calls.
4. Does the UA flight invalidate the 15 percent discount?
5. Putting aside the 15 percent discount issue, is the planned award itinerary valid?
6. Am I correct in assuming that I should call SQ during regular Singapore office hours to best deal with this? And if so, are there particularly good or bad times/days to call to avoid excessive hold times?
7. Must I have sufficient KrisFlyer miles in my account to make the booking, or will SQ let me put it on hold until I top of my balance with Chase UR or Amex MR points?

As indicated in the thread link I provided, I have some prior experience with this kind of booking. But any updated advice or information regarding these questions or any other matters I should be aware of would be very welcome.

Thanks for any help.