FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heads-up: New SA Immigration rules for kids
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:01 pm
CBear

Originally Posted by xcape2usa
I am traveling with my 17 year old to SA (mid July). A court order? Really? Would a letter from my spouse giving permission to travel while also stating he grants full custody be sufficient? It would of course be certified by commissioner of oaths. I am struggling to wrap my head around this "rule". Anyone from the US gone through this process?

"A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child"
You're misreading it. Court order is necessary in case one parent is unavailable or one parent has full legal custody of the child. Husband needed his custody papers for traveling with his minor children to Canada without the mother's permission.

If you are married and the father is not traveling with you, your child will need a passport, birth certificate listing both parents and notarized consent letter from the person listed as the father.

If the letter cannot be obtained, you'll need a death certificate of the father (if applicable) or court order granting full parental responsibility to the mother or legal guardianship papers.

ETA: The consent letter is really nothing new. Many countries require it.