FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Club vs. Priority Pass
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:49 am
USHPNWDLUA

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
At the very least, you should get the Chase United Club card rather than paying more to UA directly. Plus you can get a year free.
Second this suggestion. I got the card mainly for the extra miles, and would suggest it also for that reason. The fact that the card comes with UC access is a small bonus.

Originally Posted by busyroadwarrior
I get the PP card free with my Platinum Amex card, which I believe has all of the same access to PP clubs as a regular PP card except you cannot take a guest in without paying. On saying that, I have only had need to use it once and that was in India at a PP club where they let me take a guest in for free as well. The nice thing with the PP card was that I did not need to be flying a specific airline, being a PP club itself, I just showed my card and walked in.
When I was debating which card to get, Amex or UA Club, I looked closely at the Plat Amex, but found that the Amex Plat card got you access to all airline lounges, except United.

Just now, I went to the PP website to review if something had changed, and at first it appeared to now allow access, because all of the UA clubs are listed. Wow! Search for one, like UA club in ORD, and the fine print reads thusly:
Note: Members holding a Priority Pass Select membership card and Priority Pass cardholders in the U.S. that receive their membership through a U.S. financial institution will not be allowed access to this Lounge.
So it seems the PP thru Amex is not an option. Also, the UA card also does not require you to be flying UA or any *A partner. The membership you get, unlike the DL membership with its card, comes with a full-fledged membership card, and showing it without a boarding pass is acceptable. You can even get a gate pass to visit the lounge even if not flying.

Last edited by USHPNWDLUA; Mar 17, 2015 at 8:51 am Reason: Add details