FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:24 am
kerflumexed

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I imagine there will be three people along shortly to point out to you that Delta fulfilled their end of the bargain and got them to LGA (barely). A long time ago airlines used to really take care of the victims of a crash and their families. I remember watching a documentary where one man lost both of his parents on an AA 707 that crashed. AA gave him free flights for life.
I once sat next to a flight attendant that had worked UAL 173 DEN PDX on 12/28/1973. The DC8 ran out of gas and crashed short of the field - in a park. One family recognized where they were and walked home throwing off the count for a few days. Ten lost their lives including the second officer and the first flight attendant. The FA I was talking to was still bugged because the airline loaded up the remaining crew into a van and dropped them off at the airport where they were on their own.

Delta was accused way back of offering so much support and free FC tickets for extended family as a way of limiting future settlement payouts.