FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:24 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Hi. It's in here somewhere but I can attest that last June in Copenhagen, I was using my BofA 1-2-3 cash rewards card, the successor to the original Schwab credit card which has no ftf and no annual fee. I was prompted for a pin and used the cash advance pin in a kiosk to buy a 1 day local transport card and that pin triggered the transaction and it went through as a purchase. The BofA csr's have said to many if you use the cash advance pin, you will get nailed as a cash advance. Most assuredly not true.
My experiences with using the cash advance PIN have been in two locations: 1) Taiwan High Speed Rail ticket kiosks and 2) TMB (Metro) in Barcelona.

I've used the Taiwan HSR kiosks many, many times since my first trip in 2011 when my magstripe only card was rejected by the system. People have said Taiwan HSR kiosks are magstripe only with online PIN. I can't vouch for TMB kiosks in Barcelona. Two possible explanations exist. The first is that both of these might be magstripe transactions. The second is that the kiosks might have CVM enforcement disabled. I haven't paid attention to see if either of these transactions was EMV or magstripe.

I too have been told emphatically by CSRs at Chase that any use of the PIN will trigger a cash advance. These same CSRs have also repeated the "accept all cards" and refused to acknowledge that there might be situations where a chip-and-signature card doesn't cut it.