FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how strict is on easyjet on hand baggage size?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:50 am
Oaxaca

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by itsme
Versions of English other than "American" can confuse me at times, and EasyJet's explanation of luggage charges very much does, though at first glance it seems simple and straightforward enough.

One always pays for "checked" bags, or what they call "hold" luggage, the only exception being a bag that is within the size limits they allow for "carry-on" but which the plane is too full to accommodate and thus must be stowed below? So if the bag weighed only 10kg for it to go as ?"hold" luggage, one would pay a fee? The fee for "hold" bags up to 20kg will vary according to the flight, and there will be a per kg surcharge between 20kg and the maximum allowed 32kg? Can one see that base charge for the first 20kg somewhere on the website?

Thanks for any help. I do feel a bit foolish asking this, but the way they explain it really throws me.
Ok, I will try to explain (in American as far as possible ).

The rules for carry-on (cabin) baggage are as follows (my bold):

Option 1: ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels. Guaranteed to always travel with you in the cabin.

Option 2: ONE piece of cabin baggage within our maximum allowed size limitations, 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. On some busy flights your bag may have to go into the hold, at no extra cost.

Or, if you’re an easyJet Plus cardholder, Flexi fare, easyJet Plus Upfront or Extra Legroom customer:
ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels. Overhead locker space is limited so please use easyJet Plus Speedy Boarding to board first in order to secure space in the overhead lockers.
So, as long as your one piece of carry-on is within the 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x10 inches) limit and you can lift it overhead, you will not have to pay any fee, even if they have to put it in the hold. If it is less than 50x40x20cm (20x16x8 inches) it is guaranteed to go in the cabin.

Note that when easyJet say 1 piece of carry-on, they mean it, even a small ladies handbag or tiny backpack/laptop bag is counted as a second piece. That said, as of March 19th, if you hold an easyJet Plus card, or have paid for an "upfront" or "extra legroom" seat, you will be entitled to take a second small piece such as laptop bag or ladies handbag. They haven't specified the size for this yet, but it needs to be small enough to go under the seat in front and I wouldn't advise pushing it too far on size.

For checked (hold) baggage, the price does indeed vary according to flight. There may be a chart somewhere, but:

> if you have not yet booked, easiest is to search for your flight and start the booking process, you can easily see how much it would be to add checked baggage (of varying weight) without completing the booking.

> if you've already booked, you should be able to see the checked bag prices and book from within booking management on easyJet.com or via the app.

Cheapest is to book it online, I don't know if it is more expensive after you have made the initial booking. It is more book it via the call center and more still (I think double the online price) to book it at the airport.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask for further clarification if still not sure, airline policies vary so much these days, there are no stupid questions.