FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 30th B'day trip to Park Hyatt Dubai (Terrace suite) QF F vs QR F showdown
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:51 am
Jermyn

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Carq
Thatīs a really nice report and a good guide for eating and drinking in style in Dubai. As this is a good one, Iīm going to read your two older TRs.
Thanks Carq, I hope you enjoy the other TRs too!

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Oh. My. Word!
Stunning report - you out-do yourself every time!
I'm sitting here in awe trying to pick my chin off the floor!
Thanks for the kind words JamieABZ. Comment like yours make my day!

Originally Posted by greg99
Great report, thanks!

Greg
Thanks for reading greg99

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Great TR thank you... You take excellent pics and your commentary is fantastic.
Thanks SAtraveller. Although if you think a pic is good, chances are that K took it on her fancy blogger camera

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Fantastic report as always, Jermyn. And extremely useful as a source of tourist information about Dubai, a destination about which I am in a constant state of indecision about whether to book a trip to (or stopover in). I would dearly love to see the Burj Dubai, and there are clearly some stunning hotels and excellent restaurants. And yet I can't escape the suspicion that for the most part Dubai is just empty spectacle, and I'd be better off spending my precious annual leave in any number of other fascinating places I have yet to visit.

So my question is this: for those of us who are bored by mall-hopping, and for whom good restaurants and hotels are nice-to-have features of a destination, rather than destinations in themselves, is Dubai actually worth it?
Thanks mad_atta!
I think one thing to consider here is location. Being in London I can get to Dubai for a long weekend and it is a phenomenal escape from the grim void that England can sometimes be.

If I had to travel 14 hours to get there would I bother? Honestly? I'd find a way to make it a stopover and then carry on somewhere else. The Burj Khalifa is truly a sight to behold but it can be seen in a day.

That being said, as a playground to just relax and unwind Dubai has a lot going for it. Also, as m0hammed mentioned, there are some very cool things to do out in the desert. Ultimately a travel destination tends to be defined by its geography, whereas cities converge towards homogeneity.