FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:33 am
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by AllieKat
I was at a shop today with an FD130 that had EMV disabled (or wasn't enforcing the service code). I was quite surprised, as I thought these were all enabled and enforcing!
It depends on the back end merchant service processor. Wells Fargo's First Data equipment isn't chip enabled yet, and will get a software update in a few months.

Also tmiw may find this interesting, Walmart self checkouts seem to be outright declining EMV cards when trying to swipe them, requiring you to use the chip. Not quite enforcing the service code, but this seems to be interesting method of getting people to use the chip. A guy in front of me looked frustrated when his card kept declining, and the cashier came over exclaiming that he has to use the chip. Lo and behold, same held true me right behind the guy, tried to swipe my chipped USAA, and it looked like it was going to go through, but then just said it was declined, I then used the chip and it all worked! I hope that Walmart isn't going to use this bizarre method of enforcing the service code, and go back to the right way of enforcing it. This method is very unclear for people as it doesn't put up a message or anything about putting the chip in.