FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reusing/Recovering value of partial used ticket (eg. cancelled return) [Consolidated]
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:20 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Think I understand the logic (but not the time it takes to figure it out)

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Was the value really only a few dollars?

My experience, if you try to change a ticket, it over prices the ticket. I always have to go and book a new ticket, find the fare, them call in, agent says the fare is higher, them web support spends 30 minutes and honors the price. Then after the pain and suffering they waive the change fee, since it took so long.
They claim the cancelled portion of the trip (the return) has no value on its own, only as part of a continuation of the original trip.

And as I think about it, this almost makes sense. When you cancel the return, you actually haven't cancelled the ticket. This is just finally hitting me. The ticket is in limbo-land, waiting to be modified. That modification would be no different than if you were on the original trip and changed the return to something else.

So instead of SFO-LIM-SFO, the trip becomes SFO-LIM-XXX with XXX to be determined. My trip thus became and extreme open jaw with stopover; SFO-LIM followed 8 months later by SFO-CDG-SFO. Plus $250 change fee. And in this scenario it's true, there is no set amount for the residual value. It depends upon how it meshes with the rest of the new booking.

Now it kinda makes sense. It still shouldn't take so long to figure out.