FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:42 pm
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mizzou1
March 7 was a weekend day and Euro had a sharp decrease in value in March 6 (from 1.103 to 1.084). Since March 7 was a weekend day, effective currency exchange rates is usually picked from a time at previous business day and is kept about constant during the weekend. It seems that Visa has selected the most unfavorable rate and Mastercard has selected a favorable mid rate (or perhaps a rate based on the exact time of transaction). Such drastic changes in currency exchange rate are rare to happen for stable currencies, thus the difference between Visa and Mastercard rarely matters. But if somebody is making a transaction in countries with volatile exchange rates, the difference between Visa and Mastercard may be worth considering.
I just checked my credit card charges leading up to the weekend (Wednesday/Thursday/Friday). Had charges made to both "no fx transaction fee" AA Executive MC and BoA VISA. VISA has been consistently imposing a rate that is $0.01-$0.02 USD more per EUR than MC. Since I have internet access overseas, I'll be checking both MC and VISA rates (added links the wiki) for the day before deciding which card to use in the future.