FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester (formerly Hoole Hall) {GBR}
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:16 am
kryten22uk

This really is an excellent property for a UK Hilton.

Loved the look of the property and the grounds, and every part of the hotel seemed fresh, well decorated, and clean. Very friendly and efficient check-in girl. No upgrade as a Diamond.

At online checkin I selected a room on the 2nd floor, which is denoted in the lift as the "HHonors floor". Not sure what that means, as I didnt see other rooms on other floors. But our rooms were well appointed, recently rennovated. Clean modern bathroom which was leaps and bounds above the usual dreary 90s styles that Hilton UK so loves. Shower pressure was excellent. Robes and slippers on the bed. We received 1/2 bottles of red which was very drinkable.

Breakfast was very good for us Brits; full english cooked breakfast, cereals, breads, cakes, juices, and fruit. Didnt have much on a European front though, as there was no cold delicatessen section with cheeses/meats etc.

Had a "speciality" from room-service on one night, and it was a bit poor - obviously microwaved/reheated, and the fish was a bit old looking and rubbery. £5 tray charge.

Had a meal at MPW Steakhouse. I wouldn't say its expensive, but its not great value either. The meal was excellent, but then I dont think steak and chips requires any gourmet skills. The dessert menu was very Little Chef - sticky toffee pudding, chocolat brownies and icecream etc. They were nice but very mainstream, and no artistic license. The service was good, and they attempt to make up for the elevated price, by an expensive feel to the decor, and the waiters wear white gloves. I would recommend a visit.

The Spa and Pool complex was excellent. There was a small pool with two lanes; one dedicated to adults. It was lovely and warm to lounge around in (perhaps too warm if you wanted to do some serious laps). There is then a very large "hydrotherapy pool", which basically meant the sides of the pool had seating with bubble-jets. Nothing especially hydrotherapy about it over other pools with bubbles. It is however nice and hot, and has a striking outdoor section which has two-story walls on all four sides, giving a sort of large well sort of effect. The sauna is large, and well appointed. The steam room was also very nice. My wife had a 45min(ish) facial which she liked, and to me seemed good value (£55).

Negatives are that there are no interconnecting rooms - a bit weird I think as it meant that my wife and I had to split up in different rooms and have one kid with us each. Shame the pool wasnt a bit larger.