FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well you're doing okay if you can remember flights from 1979. It's weird with memory... I can remember meals I had on flights in the late 1960s and yet I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Um... did I even have lunch yesterday...?

By 1979 I'm fairly certain the DEN-SAN portion of this flight was operated with a 727-200 or possibly even a 707-320. Western's DC-10 wasn't seen in Denver again until the start of nonstop flights to London in 1981, and then it was a -30.

My WA flying was in large part the largess of our area WA sales rep who had the hots for my boss. After an internship at AA in HNL as well as leveraging connections up on San Vincente Blvd, most of my Hawaii flying was AA76 SAN-LAX (DC-10 service) connecting to AA31 (747 service) to HNL. Those were great flying experiences.

And if I can be forgiven one last diversion before returning the quiz, if you have any interest in aviation history in SAN, check out San Diego through the years by Jon Proctor. Actually his entire website is interesting -- even has a trip report on Alaska's Golden Samovar Service - 1971. An amazing guy...

Ok, back onto the flight path - thanks for indulging a trip down my own personal memory (sic!) lane.