FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:09 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here in Alaska's Interior, we have received almost as much snow over the past three days as we have all winter. I've had to put my truck into 4WD just to safely navigate the local roads. In town things are a bit better, though icy.

Here are the remainder of the unanswered questions from batch one plus a few more from batch two:

8. (In 1975) This foreign airline enjoyed 5th freedom rights with a flight between Los Angeles and Mexico City every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Identify the airline and the aircraft.

9. A thorough perusal of the pocket flight guide revealed seven Illinois cities that enjoyed jet service in late 1975. Can you identify them all? (Partial answers will not be accepted)

The following 6 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 OAG

13. This airline offers the only widebodied service between New York and Chicago. Identify the airline and equipment used.

14. Identify the longest nonstop flight being operated out of Burbank, California. I’m looking for route, airline and equipment.

15. Alphabetically, this was the last city in the OAG receiving jet service. Identify the city, and if you like the airline, aircraft and two cities it was served from.

16. In terms of capacity, identify the largest aircraft operating between St. Louis and Denver. I’m looking for airline and aircraft.

17. Between Mexico’s two largest cities, two airlines operate flights with five different types of aircraft – two propeller driven airplanes and three jets. One airline operates two types of equipment, the other three. Each aircraft type is unique to that airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft types operated between Guadalajara y Ciudad de Mexico. Partially answered. We're looking for the two types of equipment that AM used on this route

20. A perusal of the OAG has turned up four airlines that operated 727-100s into San Juan, Puerto Rico from regional airports. Can you identify them?

24. (In 1983) If you live in Saskatoon and want to fly upon Boeing’s new 767, there’s only one place you can fly to from your hometown airport. Identify the airline and the route. (We know the airline is Pacific Western. We're looking for the nonstop route flown)

The following 5 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1986 OAG

31. Tired of flying small and mid-sized jets between the Los Angeles and Las Vegas, you’ve decided to try out this airline which offers decently sized prop-jet service between Burbank and Las Vegas. Identify the airline and the aircraft type used on this route.

32. Two airlines operate nonstop flights between Edmonton, Alberta and Yellowknife – way up there in the Northwest Territories. One airline operates a jet only schedule, the other a turboprop only schedule. Identify each airline and the respective equipment operated.

33. Here you are looking forward to a nice weekend in Miami when an old friend calls and says she’s managed to come up with a pair of tickets to see Emmylou Harris on Saturday night at the famous Ryman Theater in Nashville, Tennessee. Can you make it? A quick search of your trusty OAG indicates a single nonstop flight between Miami and Nashville. Moments later you’re booked and ready to go. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this route.

34. Well aren’t you popular this week! Now the boss has called and says he needs you in Denver by noon on Monday. Well I’ll be – one airline operates a single daily nonstop flight that’ll get you into the Mile High City by 10:30am. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this route.

35. Now you’re needed in Calgary, Alberta. It turns out that the single daily nonstop out of Denver is sold out, however just down the road in Colorado Springs there is a single daily flight that makes two stops enroute to Calgary. Identify the airline, aircraft and the intermediate stops between COS and YYC.

Miscellaneous Questions
I have made note of my reference sources for each of these questions in case there should be answers different from those I have. Debate and further discussion over any of the topics mentioned in this thread is always welcome!

36. What was the first airline to fly its own jets into each of the 50 U.S. states?

37. What did the airline in question 36 do to promote its status as the only airline to fly into each of the 50 U.S. states?

38. What was the first airline to introduce seat back tv's on every seat?

39. When was the first pilot’s strike of a large airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved?

40. What was the first airline to offer video games inflight? What year was it?

41. This U.S. airline once ousted its longtime president and replaced him with the brother of the president of its chief rival airline. Which U.S. airline was this?

42. What U.S. airline introduced ETOPs flights across the Atlantic? What type of aircraft was used?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 8, 2015 at 11:40 pm